Creative Chaos

Updated 4/4/08. Carlos over at Ragamuffin Soul is asking people to blog about a recent creative idea we've used in a worship service. I'm bumping this up per his request.
_________________________________________________________________________

Originally posted 3/20/08
In my effort to build a Good Friday service with the theme of "by his stripes we are healed", I have hit a dilemma.

Here is my order of service:


Video “Resurrection”
Reading of Isaiah 53
Crimson (Vocal Solo)
Reading: John 18: 1-18
#302 Lamb of God 1, 2
Reading John 18: 19-40
#323 Alas! And Did My Savior Bleed 1, 2, 3, 5
Reading: John 19: 1-16
Love Song (Vocal Solo)
Reading John 19: 17-42
#324 When I Survey the Wondrous Cross 1, 3, 4
Video “A Better Way”
Cross Painting/Communion
Prayer

All of the readings have music in the background, mostly stuff from "The Passion" to create a mood of sorrow and awe at the same time. Both vocal solos are focused on Jesus very intentionally, as are the videos.

For communion, my idea is to have a small bucket of paint sitting at the foot of the cross. As we all come forward for communion, we will have the chance to paint a stripe on the cross, to remind us of the price Jesus paid, the "stripes" if you will. During that time, I want to have music, specifically something with words to add to the mood. I originally planned "Healed" by Nichole Nordeman. But after further reflection, I am really falling in love with the idea of "Ten Thousand Angels" by Caedmon's Call/Derek Webb.

Both songs emphasize healing, but Nichole's song is a little more accessible than the other song.

Any opinions? If you don't know the songs, you can google for the lyrics in a heartbeat (in order to help a girl out.)

____________

Click here to read all the comments from the original post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dichotomy of Country Music

for what is small is not at all