Is God Romancing Us?

Steve Fuller over at A Better Way has a great post today about a college professor that chose to retire in order to take care of his ailing wife, who is suffering from Alzheimer's. There's a video you can watch on his post or here. Either way, watch the video. It's short and completely worth it. By the end, all I could say was "That's the most romantic thing I've ever heard."

And as Fuller's post says, "Some of us have forgotten who God is; others of us have never known. Either way, he knows who you are, and he has promised to be there for you." And I asked myself, isn't all God's doing is romancing us? Trying to get our attention so we can see just how amazing he is? Sacrificing himself so I can live an blessed (not necessarily happy or easy) life? Isn't all he's doing is trying to open our hearts to his love?

I've been reading a fiction book entitled The Art of Standing Still by Peggy Culliford. It was the title that intrigued me, enough to pick it up among so many other books on the shelf. I don't feel as though I have a stressful, crazy-busy life. It's simple, predictable, comfortable. But is that what I want in my romance with God? Do I want to know exactly what God's going to do with me next? (Well, kind of... if I'm being honest.) Do I want the same thing day after day? I don't think I do, and I know for sure that I don't want that in any kind of romance. It might be safe, but it won't be good. And our God is the opposite of that.

At the same time, I need to learn how to stand still. Otherwise I won't notice what he's trying to tell me, show me, teach me. I won't notice him loving me. And there is nothing more selfish than ignoring love. In this area of my life, and probably many others, I am the most selfish person on the planet.

By the way: Organic chocolate milk rocks my sauce. Not a great ending to this post, I realize. But it's my glass right now and I'm enjoying it immensely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dichotomy of Country Music

for what is small is not at all