Hunger and Thirst

What I'm listening to: Jennifer Knapp's Wishing Well

Our physical bodies need things to survive - the air we breath, the food we eat, the water we drink. Without these things, our bodies deteriorate.

And what does our soul need to survive? Some say fellowship with other people, some say love. The soul can deteriorate like the body, but may take longer or may not be evident to the outside world as much.

I believe the God-shaped hole we are born is why our soul deteriorates - when it’s not filled the his nourishment, our soul can wither away.

O God, you are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you,
my body longs for you,
in a dry and weary land
where there is no water.
-Psalm 63:1


Our bodies and souls long for our Creator, partially because he is our Creator, but also because this world is not our home. We are aliens is this world and are called to glorify him.

Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy. Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us. -1 Peter 2: 1-12

Only Jesus has the ability to give us the water that lasts. But do I honestly hunger for him when I have everything I need? I have a place to live, food to eat, a family that loves me, a job to go to and money to pay bills. I have love in my life - so by America’s standards I have it all. So why is it that I long for more?

Because of that God-shaped hole. A hole that knows there is something better out there for me. A hole that knows I'm complete and incomplete all at once. He made me who I am and he loves me completely.

I spread out my hands to you;
my soul thirsts for you like a parched land.
-Psalm 143:


I think to hunger and thirst for him, I must pursue. Not just feel. I must actively seek out a relationship with Christ. Not just in prayer, but in every day living and acting. In all the mundane activities of life where it doesn't seem important for let his love shine through you, but you must because you never know the when the moment will come when he can use you.

May I always seek what I hunger and thirst for - to make more of him and less of me.

May I understand that I'm made for more, but must be here.

May I know in my heart that God made me beautiful.

May I experience life the way it is meant to be experienced.

May my heart always be near his.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Where did you find Jennifer Knapp's Wishing Well Cd?
KELLY said…
You can email me at kellyrobison@comcast.net. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

The Dichotomy of Country Music

for what is small is not at all