Discovering a Little Christmas Spirit



It's rare for me to have a Sunday off. I actually looked back to count and I only missed leading worship three Sundays this last year - and one was due to illness. But today was the Sunday School Christmas program and the children's music program is not something I've had time to be involved with at the church for 4 years now. So I took the oppourtunity to not drive the 30 miles to church and instead finish up my Christmas shopping, do laundry ... and watch two Christmas movies. I feel do decadent.

The reason I find Will Ferrell so funny is because of this movie. Maybe Bob Newhart makes him funny (because Bob Newhart rocks), maybe it the way he claps at the excitement of seeing Santa, maybe it's because he's gets the crap kicked out of him by a little person...I don't know. But it's freakin' funny. Even Roger Ebert liked it. He said, and I quote, "This is one of those rare Christmas comedies that has a heart, a brain and a wicked sense of humor, and it charms the socks right off the mantelpiece."




Not as good of a movie, but still a Christmas standard for me in the last few years is How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I enjoy the movie because of Cindy LooHoo and one moment in the movie. Cindy: "You're the-the-the..." Grinch "The-The-The. THE GRINCH." Kills me everytime.

I'd never paid attention to the lyrics of the main song in the show, but here's a taste:


Where are you Christmas?
Why can't I find you?
Why have you gone away?
Where is the laughter
You used to bring me?
Why can't I hear music play?

My world is changing
I'm rearranging
Does that mean Christmas changes too?

Where are you Christmas?
Do you remember
The one you used to know?
I'm not the same one
See what the time's done
Is that why you have let me go?


That's fairly profound for a cheesy pop song and interesting in light of what I've been through this year.

Now all I have to do it find time to watch
It's a Wonderful Life and National Lampoon Christmas Vacation (just to take the edge off all the cheese. I'ts just not Christmas until I see a cat get electrocuted by some Christmas lights) and I'm all set.

Audrey: Do you sleep with your brother? Do you know how sick and twisted that is?
Ellen: Well, I'm sleeping with your father. Don't be so dramatic.

Hee. I love that quote.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dichotomy of Country Music

for what is small is not at all