Sleep... Rest... Comfort... Safety

The 4th of January Reflections '11

Sleep: What can you do to improve your quality of sleep? Take a short glance around the Bible to see what it has to say about sleep and then share it with us.

I'm weirdly feng shui about my bedroom. I'm a firm believers in the feng shui of arranging your bedroom. Don't  place the bed in front of the door because you will be thinking about what's outside the door: i.e., the many things there are to do, which will not help you rest. It's also important to remove all the work from the room, for the same reason. It's bad to have a computer or desk in your room... it's bad to have unfolded laundry in your room (which I currently do, lying on the chest at the foot of my bed.  Work and rest are the opposite of each other - to have conflicting messages (albeit subconsciously) can contribute to unrest. It's also best to not place the bed under a window.

According to feng shui, the bedroom is to be a place of sanctuary. This is what will help aid in the best sleep possible for you. Let me be clear: I'm not an eastern religion sort of person. But I do believe that environment plays an important part of the way you live your life, the way you learn (that's the educator in me), and more importantly, your attitude about life. When I went through the capstone experience at the end of my master's degree, I learned a significant part of my philosophy of education is the safety of the environment. ... and I read about feng shui 10 years ago. (I believe that means it's part of the way God wired me, right?)

Psalm 4 is a beautiful expression of what is means to be able to rest in safety:

Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness!
You have given me relief when I was in distress.
Be gracious to me and hear my prayer!

O men, how long shall my honor be turned into shame?
How long will you love vain words and seek after lies? 
                     Selah

But know that the LORD has set apart the godly for himself;
   the LORD hears when I call to him.

 Be angry, and do not sin;ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent. 
                    Selah

Offer right sacrifices,
   and put your trust in the LORD.

There are many who say, "Who will show us some good?

    Lift up the light of your face upon us, O LORD!"
You have put more joy in my heart
   than they have when their grain and wine abound.

 In peace I will both lie down and sleep;
   for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.

I think the word "Selah" might be my favorite word in the Bible. I think it's because I almost never pause and rest. But each time I do the Lord shows me wonderful and gracious thing. He shows me himself. My rest, while I may subscribe to some tenants of feng shui, is completely dependent on God's grace. The quality of my sleep can be improved by resting in the peace and comfort God provides for me each day, rather than trusting in myself.

Much easier said than done.

Posted via email from stephanienels's posterous

Comments

Friar Tuck said…
Another tip in wise arrangement for offices--place the desk where it faces the door. I had an office that was arranged where the computer was set to have me facing away from the door. Then people started backstabbing me in the church i was serving. I took a work day to totally rearrange my office arrangement
stephanie said…
Hmmm... that's awful, FT. But I'm confused...how was having your computer facing the door an invitation to backstab you?

Popular posts from this blog

The Dichotomy of Country Music

for what is small is not at all