Being Watered

What's I'm listening to: Plumb's Candycoatedwaterdrops

I've decided that we're not that much different than plants.

A plant gives and gives oxygen. But if you don't water it, it dies.

I've been around the people who are constantly striving. Striving to be better, striving to be seen, striving to make their life better. But there comes a point when striving is more hurtful than harmful.

The very word "striving" has a lot of negative and painful connotations associated with it. It suggests the continuous, constant pushing of oneself. I picture a marathon runner at the end of the 26-mile stretch, reaching and reaching for the finish line. And I always picture a painful look on their face. But not all striving has to be painful. There are ways to push yourself without overloading yourself with guilt, fear, and critical thoughts. When striving begins to break your heart, beat down your spirit, it no longer is beneficial. But does that imply that pushing ourselves is a bad thing? No. Striving to be better is something I believe to be biblical.

I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. -Philippians 3:10-14

When striving begins to wear us down, not build us up, that's when striving is no longer a virtue. To be around someone who is striving is stressful, unpleasant. It's makes you feel inadequate, like you are not doing enough. Striving to be the person God intends you to be is something you should feel inspired to do, not obligated to do. It's not a job, it's a desire.

That’s where being watered becomes necessary. Find a way to replenish if you see yourself wearing down. Drink in the pleasure of life, allow the journey, not just the end result, to become part of "the joy that comes in the morning". Never allow the expectations of the world around you to drag you into the pit. Allow God to replenish and inspire your soul.

Hungry-I come to You
For I know You satisfy
I am empty but I know
Your love does not run dry
Broken I run to You
For Your arms are open wide
I am weary but I know Your touch
Restores my life

So I wait for You
So I wait for You

I'm falling on my knees
Offering all of me
Jesus You're all
This heart is living for

--from "Hungry" Vineyard Worship

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dichotomy of Country Music

for what is small is not at all