Avoidance

What I'm listening to: PFR's Disappear

Why in the world do we thinking by avoiding something the problem will go away?

Maybe it's a situation, a person, a sin we want to oversome. Something in our life that's a thorn in our side, something that makes life harder than it needs to be. And we avoid it - believing that maybe if we ignore everything about it, the problem will go away on it's own.

Why do we think it's easier to avoiding and wonder that to confront and get it over with? Oh, I suppose there are lots of reasons - if it's a particular sin, we aren't willing to take the time to discipline ourselves. If it's a situation, we might feel as though it's not that big of a deal and we hope it will resolve on it's own. If it's a person, we are probably afraid to look that person in the eye and open the hurt you have from what they've done.

While Jeremiah was still confined in the courtyard of the guard, the word of the LORD came to him a second time: "This is what the LORD says, he who made the earth, the LORD who formed it and established it—the LORD is his name: 'Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.' For this is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says about the houses in this city and the royal palaces of Judah that have been torn down to be used against the siege ramps and the sword in the fight with the Babylonians: 'They will be filled with the dead bodies of the men I will slay in my anger and wrath. I will hide my face from this city because of all its wickedness.
'Nevertheless, I will bring health and healing to it; I will heal my people and will let them enjoy abundant peace and security. I will bring Judah and Israel back from captivity and will rebuild them as they were before. I will cleanse them from all the sin they have committed against me and will forgive all their sins of rebellion against me.Then this city will bring me renown, joy, praise and honor before all nations on earth that hear of all the good things I do for it; and they will be in awe and will tremble at the abundant prosperity and peace I provide for it.'
- Jeremiah 33: 1-9

God's promise of restoration here is clear - so why are we so afraid to open the wound in front of the person who hurt us? Because we've put our faith in the person - not God. Because the person may be who we want the healing from, and there is no promise or guarantee in that. But there is with God's.

I spent my life learning to survive,
Walked down these roads
Hoping each one might lead me home.
I learned early on that trust can come undone
And leave your heart guarding it's deepest part.
Oh, But You got in through the marrow and bone
Shed some light where none had shone.

-PRF

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dichotomy of Country Music

for what is small is not at all