Commenting Policy

Sorry, everyone. Due to an unfortunate comment situation that happened yesterday, where some derogatory, inappropriate and very un-Christlike comments were made, I have now disabled anonymous comments, and enabled comment moderation.

Not a big deal for most of you wonderful people who read this faithfully. For me, however... well, but I just never wanted to go there. I hoped to create a place where differing views from mine or others are welcomed and not an exercise is tearing one another down unnecessarily, without moderation or needing an account. I've been blogging for over 3 years now and have never had a situation where I felt this was needed. But when someone attacks the character of a person they don't know, that is unacceptable to me.

All that said, I am taking a adapting a commenting policy from Shane over at Caffeinated Thoughts: Thanks, Shane.

-It is perfectly okay to disagree with me,and that isn't why I deleted the comments I did - though he/she might think that's why I did it. I expect and sometimes even hope for some to disagree with me. What I also expect (and demand, at this point) is that we disagree in an agreeable manner. I will not tolerate personal attacks on myself or others who comment (name calling and other offensive remarks). Let’s keep to the issue or post at hand. Name-calling is immature and does no one any good, and does not help build up the body of Christ.

- This hasn’t been a problem, but I thought I would include it - no vulgar language (profanity, sexist or racist remarks, etc.) will be permitted. You are free to use it, but as the blog owner I’m free to delete your comment.

- Please don’t comment numerous times when nobody is responding to you. Let’s call this for what it is - spam. I understand a couple of comments in a row if you forget to include something, have a typo, etc. But commenting 4,5, 6 times or more (in a row, without a response) is excessive. I will try to respond to comments as quickly as I can, but I am not a full-time blogger. I am full-time seminary student with a part-time job. My life is not here online.

I view blogging as journaling for me. I don't have a political agenda, or a desire to tear other views down. What does happen often here is my emotional response to what is happening in the world. (I cheered today when I found out Ms. Kennedy took her name of the list for the New York Senate seat, but that's neither here nor there.) I am often saddened by the state of the nation (see my post on Blog Action Day). I am often sadden by the state of my own heart (see my "I'm That Girl" post). And I often grapple with very difficult questions. (See my post on expectations, which was the most popular post here based on google search hits of 2008.) And I also ask difficult questions (see my post on infliction) and really hope we can have a conversation about it.

All that said... here's to hoping this won't happen again.

Comments

Meredith said…
steph,

i am sorry to hear that someone was so mean! i don't understand why stuff like that happens. my view about blogging is similar to yours...it is my place to work things out--to think outloud, to be inspired by others.

i like how you categorized this one as "lesson learned".
kc bob said…
I understand Stephanie.. gotta do what you gotta do.. but maybe you don't need the word verification if you moderate?
stephanie said…
thanks KB ... didn't think about that!

Popular posts from this blog

The Dichotomy of Country Music

for what is small is not at all