What Do I Deserve?

I struggle with the idea of the prosperity gospel.

Thankfully, I didn't grow-up with it; I've only encountered it as an adult and old enough to understand the premise. John Piper has a great sermon on it you can listen to at the University Christian Fellowship blog in the November 2005 archives.

Joel Osteen's ministry is reported to spend over 20 million dollars ALONE buying television time. I feel sick to my stomach when I hear a number like this. I know in my heart it's wrong, and maybe my head just hasn't caught up with it all yet.

Do I think God has a better plan for me? Yes. Do I think I deserve it? No. Do I think that if I pray God will make me rich he will? No. I'm not into believing that God will change his mind just because I ask him to. What more could I get that I don't already have? I have salvation in Christ. I am his co-heir in heaven. It doesn't get any better than that.

A Little More (anyone know the artist?)

Turn Your eyes from on this way
I have proved to live a dastardly day
I hid my face from the saints and the angels
Who sing of Your Glory
What You had in mind
When we seek we’ll find
Shine show me grace

A Little More than I can give
A little more than I deserve
Unearth this holiness I can’t earn
It’s a little more than I can give
A little more than I deserve

For all the sin that lives in me
It took a nail to set me free still,
What I do I don’t want to do
And so goes the story
What You had in mind
When we seek we’ll find
Shine, show me grace

With all this motivation
I still find a hesitation deep in my soul
Despite all my demanding
I still find You understanding
Show me Grace
Show me Grace I know is...

A Little More than I can give
A little more than I deserve
Unearth this holiness I can’t earn
It’s a little more than I can give
A little more than I deserve


Comments

ptg said…
As I might have mentioned, I follow the line of Jesus. I'm not able to be much like Jesus, nor to discern the the will of God any better than anyone else. All I can do is be grateful to God for all creation, even when aspects of its goodness aren't evident.

Through unconditional gratitude, it is possible to be as happy when God gives a clod of dirt as when he gives a nugget of gold.
stephanie said…
Your last line? Very poetic.
kc bob said…
I watch Joel occasionally and sometimes struggle like you do. Then my "unsaved" little sister tells me how much she loves Joel and listens to his podcast each week. I wonder if Joel is a bit more of an evangelist than we think him to be? Food for thought?
stephanie said…
I have no doubt he makes people feel good. But every time I've tried to watch Joel, I only hear half the gospel. It's preachers like him why so many people go uneducated in the church. I do hope God uses him in some way because the man has incredible resources. But half the truth isn't the truth, and I worry that people like your sister are getting the wrong message - and they accept it because it's easier than the gospel.
Pastor Andy said…
Jennifer Knapp
Song: A Little More
Cd: WOW2000 (and on new album)
stephanie said…
Very good, Pastor Andy! She's disappeared into obscurity, along with a lot of her music. This is one of my favorite songs of hers and I once heard it on an episode of Felicity. (Yeah, I realize I just admitted I've watched Felicity.)

Thanks for stopping by. :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Dichotomy of Country Music

for what is small is not at all