What it Means to Be Held

Well, technically it snowed, but there was no accumulation, so my excitement was preliminary. Boo! The result? It's just really, really cold and extra windy. Boo!

There's this song by Natalie Grant I'm blaring on my stereo right now called "Held". The song is about the promise that after the fall of man, we have the promise of God holding us. And I know the following interpretation of the song is probably not what was intended by writer, however I've never been one for conformity.

This is what it means to be held - How it feels when the sacred is torn from your life and you survive

This is what it is to be loved - and to know that the promise was when everything fell we'd be held


And it occured to me the reason we hurt,the reason we have an ache inside us, is from being held. From that promise of things better, the promise of home. It we didn't know just how amazing home will be when we get there, we wouldn't hurt this way.

God holding you kind of hurts - if you've ever experienced it, you know what I mean. It's a feeling of sorrow (that we have so long to wait for home) and protection (from the fallen world of sin) and a million other emotions I can't even put to words.

The sacred is torn from your life. For me, that's about the sacred purity I was created to have. It's been torn from me because of my sin. And as I place my head on God's chest and let him hold me, I have to let go of that sacred purity and yet long for it at the same time. It seems so unfair. I have to live in this fallen state of sin when I know what it means to be held.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dichotomy of Country Music

for what is small is not at all